Saturday, September 12, 2015

Hints of Fall in Door County - Part 1

On the easel today: A work-in-progress shot of this Door County piece.


I'm testing out a cadmium-free palette on this painting. Right now I'm using: titanium white, yellow ochre, permanent orange (Holbein), burnt sienna, bright red (W/N), alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, and viridian hue (Holbein). 

Once the painting is a little more flushed out tomorrow I plan on introducing some Hansa or Indian yellow. I want to put a few high-chroma yellows into the foreground grass and the tall trees on the right. Yellow ochre provides a great backbone yellow but it doesn't quite cut it when it comes to high-chroma, light value yellows/greens. 

When using yellow ochre and ultramarine for most of my greens, it helps me keep everything muted until the accent phase later. Viridian and yellow ochre allows for some nice true-green accents here and there, but I use those very sparingly. Finally I like to dip into the bright yellow (cadmium or Hansa) for final accents in the foreground. 

Stay tuned for part 2 tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment