Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Bit of Gouache

Here are a couple small gouache pieces I painted recently. I've been enjoying playing around with the medium. It dries extremely fast, which allows for very fast layering. The first initial layers are typically very thin and watery, which allows a pencil drawing to show through until I decide to work more opaquely. I can do a fairly detailed drawing first and carefully work out linear perspective before applying subsequent layers of paint. Pencil can be applied directly over dried gouache as well. Because of this, I think gouache lends itself very well to geometric forms and architecture in a way that oil paint does not. 

I'm using a 4x7 Pentalic brand watercolor journal, Holbein brand gouache, a 2B pencil, and a couple small watercolor brushes (#2 round and 1/2" flat).


I painted this piece in a local garden center. I liked the shelves they made from cinder blocks and old pallets. It allowed for some nice flat surfaces and angles, which made a good contrast to the dappled sunlight. I painted this piece with a limited palette of lemon yellow, burnt sienna, ivory black, and white. I entered this piece in James Gurney's "Outdoor Market Challenge", which you can find on his blog Gurney Journey.



This is a fountain in the shopping area of Tlaquepaque, which is in Sedona, AZ. There are some nice fountains, plants, and interesting architecture. The challenge here was keeping everything symmetrical, so I spent a long time on a detailed drawing. The fountain has a lot of intricate carvings on it, which I had to simplify. The splashing water was also a challenge, especially since gouache dries so fast. For this painting I used a limited palette of yellow ochre, burnt sienna, ultramarine blue, and white. 

No comments:

Post a Comment