Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Rocks and a Saguaro: A review of Gamblin's Warm White and Caucasian Flesh Tint

"Between a Rock and a Hard Place" Oil on canvas, 6x6 inches

I tried out a different palette for this one. I have been hearing things about some landscape painters using Caucasian Flesh Tint from Gamblin, and I figured I would see what that's all about. I have always avoided pre-mixed "skin tones", preferring to mix everything myself, but this tube was given to me a while ago. So, rather than letting it collect dust I decided to try it out. 

For my purposes, I see the Caucasian Flesh Tint as a convenience color, a useful starting point for some of the peachy rocks we get out here. I also found it useful for lightening up a green and lowering the intensity at the same time... good when you want to knock back a green in the distance to convey atmospheric perspective. 

I also used Gamblin's "Warm White" in place of titanium white. This white is made from titanium with a touch of yellow in it. It's very subtle, but it works its way into every part of your painting and makes things seem a little bit warmer. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this color.

Here's my full palette:

Warm white (Gamblin), cadmium yellow light, cadmium yellow medium, Caucasian flesh tint (Gamblin), alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue deep (Senellier), cobalt blue, yellow-green (Utrecht)

No comments:

Post a Comment