Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Monsoon in the Superstitions

"Monsoon in the Superstitions" Oil on canvas, 6x6 inches.

I worked up a smaller, square version of a painting from a few months ago. This one has more dramatic lighting, which I think works out a bit better than the first version. 

My palette: Cadmium yellow light, cadmium yellow medium, cadmium orange, cadmium red light, alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue deep (Senellier), cobalt blue, yellow-green (Utrecht)

On a side note, I've been kind of unhappy with the Senellier ultramarine blue deep. It has some sort of solvent smell to it (a number of their colors do), which I assume is some sort of dryer. In addition to that, it's not pure ultramarine (PB29). It has some dioxazine violet in the mix. I can add violet myself, if I want to. I don't want it pre-mixed in the tube because there is no way for me to take it out. I'm only using this color just so I can finish off a tube. I won't buy it again, that's for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment