Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Fall Still Life



Fall is here, and the grocery stores are filled with all the great seasonal produce. Funky looking pumpkins, squash, gourdes, and dried corn. I bought a selection of these things and piled them up on the table, along with one of my ceramic bottles. This piece is 11x11.

My palette here is: Cadmium yellow light, yellow ochre, cadmium orange, cadmium red light, transparent oxide red (Rembrandt), alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, viridian. 

The transparent oxide red is a handy color when painting still life. It makes some really great darks when mixed with ultramarine blue, and some great dark, muted greens when mixed with viridian. It's a very useful color especially in underpainting. 

I don't normally use the transparent oxide red in my landscape paintings, though. I usually prefer opaque, bright colors (usually because I paint landscapes alla prima). I tend to avoid using transparent colors, as those (at least for me) are better for indirect painting rather than direct painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment