Sunday, January 15, 2012

11 and 12

I needed some new material for painting landscapes, so I drove down highway 88 and took some pictures of the Superstition mountains. I drove to the top of a hill off the side of the highway, hiked around a bit, and got lots of good photos.

I've painted 2 landscapes from the photo shoot so far. That makes 12/100 for that goal of mine. Still a ways to go but at least I have started to put a dent in it.



My palette is a little more extensive on these paintings. I used Old Holland oils, again, with Graham Walnut Alkyd Oil as my medium.

Palette: 50/50 Flake/Titanium white, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Cadmium Red Medium, Alizarin Crimson (Williamsburg), Green Earth, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine, Ivory Black.

In the second painting I used some Natural Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Genuine from Daniel Smith Oils. This paint is made from real turquoise from the Sleeping Beauty Mountain mine in Arizona. It's a really great color. My mom gave me a few Daniel Smith oils for Christmas. They are made from gems, including Malachite, Tigerseye, and an iron oxide red made from Sedona rocks. They are really cool.

1 comment:

  1. These just keep getting more amazing. That turquoise is so vivid!

    ReplyDelete